Rebecca Welborn is a recent addition to the Leaffer Law Group team of nonprofit tax attorneys. She brings with her many years of experience in a broad range of tax-exempt entity law and related areas. Rebecca pairs her standards of excellence and attention to detail with effective issue spotting, meticulous drafting and ‘outside-the-box’ thinking in everything from tax compliance to internal policy drafting to facilitating innovative problem solving.
- DOWNLOAD vCARD
Rebecca regularly works in the following areas:
- Nonprofit formation and governance
- Applications for section 501(c)(3) status
- Corporate operational issues
- Assessing entity programming and associated risk
- Reorganization and restructuring
- Scholarships, disaster relief grants and international grants
- Corporate sponsorships and other fundraising matters
- Management of endowment funds and other restricted gifts under UPMIFA
- Fiscal sponsorship programs and grants
- Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT)
After several years working in the hard sciences, Rebecca attended law school. She then began her legal career in natural resources law with projects ranging from regulatory analysis and problem solving, to dispute resolution. After completing her LLM in Tax, Rebecca created a legal office and served as the Director of the Legal Department within the Archdiocese of Denver for over 15 years. Rebecca now brings her extensive nonprofit expertise to an even broader range of charitable, religious and educational causes and clients.
A native of Colorado with roots in its rural culture, Rebecca enjoys the great outdoors, including spending time with her amazing (albeit aging) equines, and tending to the family’s four goats and menagerie of chickens. Rebecca also enjoys expanding her knowledge of the world’s myriad spiritual teachings and disciplines.
I am so grateful to be part of the world of nonprofit law, where kindness and ingenuity are invited to walk hand-in-hand. In return, I believe that if something is worth doing, it is worth doing well. The compassionate and genius nonprofit visionaries in our community deserve nothing less."
- University of Denver LL.M. (2004)
- University of Denver J.D. (1998)
- Wellesley College, B.A. (1991)